Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Making Memories

With two kids under six, a husband, two dogs, a nearly full-time job, and Mike and I both returning to school, my life is constantly in schedule-juggling mode.  We are always in a mostly-manageable state of disarray.  That being said, though, we are also constantly making memories.  Whether it's a family vacation, Danica learning to read, or Adelyn mastering the phrase "Mama needs her coffee?", we are always in memory-making mode.  Some of these are memories well-documented with pictures or video, but most are tucked away in my bank of reminiscence.  For now, I draw on those when life feels overwhelming.  In those moments where I feel lost in a sea of tantrums and messes, I think about how proud D was when she learned to say "computer" instead of "compuker".  I remember how delightful belly giggles sound when the rest of the world feels ugly.  I look at the photo sitting at my desk and remember how amazing it felt to share the awe of the ocean with my girls for the first time.  I remember these moments, but then look forward to the memories to come.  I think about our next trip to Disney.  I think about taking the girls to the local playgrounds, now that Addy is mobile enough to enjoy them.  I'm excited to truly share my life with the beautiful people Mike and I have created.

But then, in my spirit of over-analyzing everything, I wonder when memory-making stops.

When does life stop being so dynamic?

When will I stop updating the pictures in my frames?

When are my memories more monumental than my future?

I don't want to be there.  I don't want to stop being optimistic, forward-thinking, and hopeful.  I want my tomorrows to be as exciting as my yesterdays.  I have begun trying on a very foreign-to-me concept...embracing change, rather than anxiously anticipating it.  Hopefully, this will help me continue to make memories and not stay stuck in a life of reminiscence...


No comments:

Post a Comment