Tuesday, March 4, 2014

"Goodnight, Mom!"

It's happened.  I didn't think it would affect me like this, but it has.  Since giving birth to Danica five-and-a-half years ago, I have referred to myself as a mom.  In reality, though, I have always been mama or mommy.  Friday night, when Danica said good night to me, she called me mom instead.  Since then, I have consistently been mom to her.  Over the past few weeks, she also begun helping with chores on her own accord, cooperating with her sister like never before, and redirecting her overwhelming energies into a refreshing calmness.  




I know she's transitioning to greater independence right now.  I also know that transitions usually have a relatable difficulty for Danica, so I'm choosing not to churn the waters and make into a big deal with her.  But mom sounds so foreign. My heart aches a tiny bit every time I hear my new name.  It's strange how two fewer letters can mean so much.  For now, I will tuck away my sadness, and try facing this transition with the same positivity that Danica is giving it.  Let's see what this next chapter has to bring...      



No comments:

Post a Comment