Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Little Home We Outgrew...

We purchased our little townhome in 2005 and quickly outgrew it.  As the burden of it's ownership grew over the years, I became less sentimental about it.  But there are some irreplaceable parts of our life that couldn't exist as-is without it...


These walls have witnessed emotions from me that so few know I experience.  

They have heard friendships ended, and laughter abounding.  
They have seen sleeplessness nights, and days filled with play.
They have seen puppy accidents, and the melody of a welcoming trio of dogs.

They have seen heartache, and they have seen new life created.
They have heard moans of defeat, and those of ecstasy.
They have heard me weep, and they have heard my babies cry.

They have heard countless "I love you's", and a fair share of less pleasant utterances.
They have heard dreams spoken, and disappointments shouted.  
They have worn my memories, and housed my secrets.

It is the place where I finally stopped being the person I thought I should be, and became the place where I reclaimed my path to being the person I need to be.  

In the end, it was my home.  Our home.  The place where I grew from a 20 year old girl lost in my own small world, to a wife, a mother, and a confident nearly 30 year old woman.  The place where we grew into a family, from a couple lost in love, but struggling with diverging plans.  This is the end of an era and the beginning of our next.  We are beyond life-creating mode and into life-living mode.  In the words of my wise and poetic husband, "let's do this shit!" 

Photo courtesy of Mike Akers


No comments:

Post a Comment